Why Every Millennial Woman Should Find A Therapist in 2017
Spring is upon us & I couldn't be happier! I just love Springtime. The flowers are blooming, birds are chirping & nature is vibrating with life. Spring is also the season for new beginnings & cleansing. Personally, this is the time of year where I break out the Pine-Sol and garbage bags, and start scrubbing my house from top to bottom. My closets get purged, junk foods are tossed out, and most importantly I clean out those emotional dust bunnies that I've neglected over the holidays.
Trust me, we all have emotional dust bunnies. Are you still a bit hurt because your aunt called out those few extra pounds you put on? Are you still reeling from a painful break-up? What about all of that frustration that's been building since you started job hunting? It's never easy to tackle these emotional struggles but in my personal experience, the best way to do this is with a therapist!
Now, before you scoff at the idea of seeing a therapist I have five great reasons why women, particularly millennial women, should find a therapist in 2017!
The Quarter Life Crisis Is Real
- Contrary to popular (baby boomer) belief, the quarter life crisis is very real! I definitely struggled with it. I finished graduate school and had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life. The salaries that I was being offered would barely cover my rent and Sallie Mae was breathing down my neck. Being able to talk to my therapist about all of this helped me get my vision for my life together and helped me realize that what I was going through was pretty normal.
- Have you ever gotten a job, promotion, or into a program and felt like a total fraud? You just knew that at any moment you'd get an email stating that the jig was up and they knew that you had no idea what you were doing! You're not alone. Imposter syndrome is common among high-achieving women. With the help of a therapist, you can finally be able to recognize and embrace your expertise while realizing that you truly deserve to be in the position that you are in.
It Will Build Your Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional intelligence or EI is a person's ability to recognize and accurately label their emotions. Rather than saying that you don't feel good or that "you're fine", sit back and really take inventory of your feelings. Are you hurt, sad, angry, envious, etc.? In many cases you may not know how you feel. A therapist can help you sift through the confusion and help you identify those feelings.
It Will Help You Understand Other People Better
- Therapy has been so clutch in changing how I view and interact with other people. Whenever I'd have a "weird" encounter with someone (they seemed agitated, convo was kinda awkward, etc.), I'd leave feeling like it was my fault. Going to therapy helped me see that people are often going through their own things too and 99.9% of the time it has nothing to do with me. My therapist has also helped me understand my husband better which has served our marriage beautifully.
It Will Give You Tools You'll Need Later On In Life
- Whether we want to admit it or not, rough times lie ahead of us. Our lives have just begun and so we will have a number of mountains to climb on our life journey. Parents will pass away, relationships will end, and friendships will dissipate. Fortunately, therapy gives us the tools we need to make it through those rough times. We will develop a sense of resiliency that will keep up above water during times in which we feel like we are drowning. Those same tools will also help us help others. When tragedy strikes those we love (or even complete strangers) we will know how to help and love them through it.
There is absolutely no shame in seeing a therapist. Putting your emotional & mental health first is the most loving & courageous thing that you could do. Let's make 2017 the best year yet! For help cleaning out those emotional dust bunnies, use Good Therapy to find a therapist near you.
We love hearing from our tribe! If you have a therapist, let us know in the comments below how therapy has changed your life. Your experience could change someone's life!